2 hrs 23 mins
2 hrs 15 mins
These are small sausages without casings. You can use beef instead of pork, but in either case it shouldn't be too lean. Adapted from the Barbecue Bible. Prep time includes 2 hours chilling time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 12 ounces ground pork (or beef)
- 12 ounces ground lamb shoulder
- 1 small onion, minced as finely as possible
- 2 garlic cloves, minced as finely as possible
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt (or more to taste)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon paprika (hot or sweet)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper (or more to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 pinch ground cloves (a TINY pinch)
- 1Combine all ingredients in a large bowl.
- 2Knead and squeeze with your hands until thoroughly blended, 3-4 minutes.
- 3To test for seasoning, take a small amount of the mixture and saute it in a nonstick skillet until cooked through, then taste and adjust seasonings. NEVER eat raw pork.
- 4Lightly oil a large plate.
- 5Divide meat mixture into 8 equal portions.
- 6Lightly wet your hands with cold water.
- 7Roll each portion into a sausage about 3" long and 1" in diameter.
- 8Place sausages on oiled plate as they are made.
- 9Cover loosely with plastic wrap and chill 2-4 hours.
- 10To cook:.
- 11Preheat grill to high.
- 12Oil the grill grate.
- 13Arrange sausages on grill.
- 14Cook, turning with a spatula, until cooked through and nicely browned, 6-8 minutes.
Browse Our Top Lamb/Sheep Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lamb/Sheep Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Romanian Pork and Lamb Sausages (Mititei)
Serving Size: 1 (197 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 491.8
- Calories from Fat 358
- Total Fat 39.8 g
- Saturated Fat 15.1 g
- Cholesterol 122.6 mg
- Sodium 1288.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 2.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 0.8 g
- Protein 28.9 g