Prep 20 mins
Cook 56 mins
These were great, fast and easy side dish.
- 1 lb button mushrooms or 1 lb cremini mushrooms or 1 lb other mushroom
- 3 tablespoons olive oil or 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 -3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 2 cups peeled seeded and chopped plum tomatoes (about 1 pound)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano or 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt, about
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed chili flakes or 1 dried red chili
- Small mushrooms, leave whole.
- Slice the big ones into large pieces with the stems intact.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the onion and garlic and sauté until soft and translucent, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and saute until slightly tender, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in the paprika and saute for 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes, oregano, salt, and sugar, bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the wine and chili and simmer until the mushrooms are tender and the sauce thickens, about 20 minutes.
- Serve warm as an accompaniment to mamaliga (cornmeal mush) or pasta.