Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
These are also called mititei and they are an essential part of Romanian life in the summer. People in Romania rarely make these from scratch but rather buy the pre-seasoned meat at the butcher shop. In the U.S. we don't have that option so I combined a few recipes I had seen and came up with this one. They are delicious. Rich and garlicky. Serve them straight off the grill with yellow mustard and bread. Beer is a must too. If you would like to add lamb to the mix, substitute it for half of the pork.
- Combine the meats in a bowl. Add the garlic and seasonings and mix well.
- Add the water and baking soda and begin to knead the meat. Knead until it is very smooth and cohesive (about 10 minutes).
- Roll into small sausage shapes (about as long as an Italian sausage but a bit thinner).
- Let the mici rest on a plate or in a large container for at least two hours, and preferably overnight.
- Grill the mici over a medium-hot grill for 15-20 minutes. They may still look a little pink on the inside. This is normal because of the baking soda and doesnt mean that they are raw. 20 minutes should do it.
- Have the mustard, bread, and beer ready. These are so good.