Recipe by Ms*Bindy
I'm reading that mushrooms are a favorite Romanian food...well I must be a Romanian! I haven't tried this recipe yet, but am posting for the Zaar World Tour. The recipe comes from the Moosewood cookbooks.
Top Review by Aunt Cookie
I served this recipe a while back to my Romanian friends; though they seemed skeptical when I told them the recipe was Romanian, they did seem to enjoy it (judging by the empty bowl at the end of the meal). I followed the recipe to the letter, and it turned out great.
- 2 1⁄2 lbs bite sized mushrooms
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup sliced onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 cups canned tomatoes (28-ounce can)
- 1⁄2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar (optional)
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- chopped fresh parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute mushrooms in 1/4 cup olive oil until just tender.
- Drain the mushrooms, toss with lemon juice and transfer to a bowl.
- Add 2 Tbsp oil to the skillet and cook the onions until they begin to turn tranlucent.
- Add the garlic and saute for a few more minutes until the onions are golden, but not browned.
- Stir in the pepper, thyme, marjoram, and bay leaves and saute for another minute.
- Drain the tomatoes and reserve 1/3 cup of juice. Coarsely chop the tomatoes and mix them into the onions along with the reserved tomato juice, vinegar, cayenne, salt and sugar.
- Simmer on low heat, covered for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Allow the marinade to cool for serveral minutes and then pour it over the mushrooms.
- Chill, covered for at least 12 hours. Bring the mushrooms to room temperature before serving.
- Garnish with lemon wedges and parsley.