Might sound weird but it 's actually pretty good.
Make and share this Romanian Lettuce Soup recipe from Food.com.
- Cook slowly chopped onion and garlic in oil until soft but not brown.
- Wash lettuce, tear leaves in small pieces, add to cooked onions and cook about 10 more minutes.
- Add salt, pepper, water and simmer 15 minutes.
- Add lemon juice and simmer 5 more minutes.
- Meanwhile, beat yolk in large serving bowl and add cream.
- Pour soup very slowly, drop by drop, over egg mixture stirring vigorously to prevent curdling.
- Do not cook again. Sprinkle chopped parsley on top.
Used about 1/3 lemon, wish recipe had recommended amount. I left out the egg, but it was still pretty good. I added a little cider vinegar after I tasted it. Not bad, really does take slow addition of soup to cream. I used Romain and red leaf lettuce. A good way to use up lettuce, and refreshing.
Very nice! I halved the recipe (except the garlic...) and found a really small egg yolk in my batch of small eggs. I used a head of Boston lettuce, next time I'd find a slightly larger head, but Boston lettuce seems to work well with this. The grocery was without parsley, so the soup went without. Made for Veggie Swap 12/10.
Everybody enjoyed this except me! I thought it was ok but could be better. I used romaine & think a spring lettuce/something soft would be much better. It was tasty; kind of like a leafy avgolemono. I wonder if using chicken broth instead of water might be good. Made for 2/10 Veggie Swap! Thanks, LM!