Prep 0 mins
Cook 15 mins
It's similar to the German one and it's called Turta Dulce. Refrigerate overnight is required, so keep that in mind before starting. I'm not sure if the original recipe calls for ginger or not, but I always add it.
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- grated ginger
- Mix ingredients together well; knead lightly on floured board for a few minutes, adding flour if necessary but trying to keep dough as soft as possible.
- Put in a bowl and let rest overnight or at least several hours.
- Roll out small portions at a time, to 1/8 inch thickness.
- Cut with cookie cutter in any shape desired.
- Bake in well greased pans at 350° or 375°.
- May be decorated like gingerbread cookies.
Made this recipe as gingerbread pumpkin-shaped cookies for a Halloween treat & piped some orange-colored frosting onto each one! Not that I expected many coming to my door, but we had a great tasting treat for ourselves over the next few days! We really liked the inclusion of the freshly grated ginger! [Tagged, made & reviewed in Newest Zaar tag]