Recipe by larry #2
This was a family favorite of mine that I recreated and tastes exactly as I remember it.The Taini +p.butter were my additions, for authentic recipe,leave them out
Top Review by Callu
This is baba ganush not salata de vinate. The average Romanian has never heard of tahini or peanut butter. If you want an eggplant spread this is fine but if you want authentic "Romanian" food this misses the mark a bit
- 2 large eggplants
- 2 large red onions, quartered
- 1⁄3 cup tahini or 1⁄3 cup peanut butter
- 1⁄2 cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 -8 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Char roast eggplants by piercing them several times with a fork.
- Roast them on a baking sheet in a 350°F oven, or place pierced eggplants on a gas stove with low heat, turning them when the skin is burned off and removing them when soft and collapsed (this gives them a smoky taste).
- Scoop out the flesh from the eggplants and puree in a food processor with other ingredients.