Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a lovely cold pasta salad I found in Redbook magazine. I use the ditalini pasta which works perfectly and I like to chill it before serving. The fresh garlic give a wonderful zing.
- 3 medium size ripe tomatoes (1 3/4 pounds)
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped (1 tsp)
- 20 basil leaves, thinly sliced (1/2 cup)
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 lb tubetti (tiny tubes) or 1 lb ditalini (tiny tubes)
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into small cubes (8 oz)
- Cut the tomatoes in half, remove cores. Squeeze out the seeds and chop. Place in a medium bowl and add the oil, garlic, basil. 1/2 teaspoon of the salt, and the pepper: mix well. (This sauce can be made ahead and left at room temperature for up to 2 hours).
- In a large pot, heat 4 quarts of water to boiling. Add remaining 2 tablespoons salt, then the pasta and cook according to package directions, until the pasta is al dente (tender yet still firm to the bite). Drain the pasta and toss with the sauce. Stir in the mozzarella and toss again.