Recipe by DailyInspiration
This pasta makes a very satisfying supper. No tomatoes in this recipe -- just a wonderful richness from the olive oil, garlic and that hidden flavor of anchovy. The original recipe did not call for cheese on top, but most prefer it with freshly grated parmesan cheese.
- 12 ounces spaghetti
- 1⁄2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh garlic, minced (or to taste)
- 3 anchovy fillets, flat (rinsed & drained and patted dry) (optional)
- fresh ground black pepper (or crushed red pepper)
- 2 tablespoons fresh flat-leaf parsley, minced
- freshly grated parmesan cheese, for serving
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot, bring 4 quarts water to a rapid boil over high heat, then stir in 1 tablespoons salt. Drop in spaghetti and cook, stirring frequently, until tender, but still firm to the bite.
- Meanwhile, in a large saute pan or skillet, combine the oil, garlic and anchovies (if using) over low heat and cook until the garlic just begins to take on a hint of color, do not brown the garlic. Remove from the heat.
- Drain spaghetti, transfer to the pan holding the garlicky olive oil, season to taste with salt and pepper or crushed red pepper flakes and toss well. Sprinkle with the parsley, crown lavishly with cheese, and serve immediately.