Based on ancient Roman recipe using spices from the Far East. Serve this as is with crusty bread, or over steamed rice or mashed potatoes.
- 3 lbs beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 cups celery, sliced
- 1 medium onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 14 1⁄2 ounces diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine
- In a large skillet, brown the beef in the oil over medium-high heat (do this in batches). Transfer the beef to your slow cooker.
- Add the garlic ,celery and onion slices to the slow cooker, then sprinkle the salt, cinnamon, cloves, pepper, allspice, and nutmeg over the beef and vegetables.
- Pour the tomatoes and the wine over the beef and vegetables.
- Cover the slow cooker, and cook on low for 7 to 8 hours.
- If you want a thicker sauce, stir in some cornstarch mixed with water at the end of the cooking time.