Recipe by Outta Here
Based on ancient Roman recipe using spices from the Far East. Serve this as is with crusty bread, or over steamed rice or mashed potatoes.
Top Review by Dreamer in Ontario
Excellent stew. I prepared it exactly as written including adding cornstarch and water at the end to thicken the broth. I loved the spices used for this dish. Made for ZWT7.
- 3 lbs beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 cups celery, sliced
- 1 medium onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 14 1⁄2 ounces diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine
- In a large skillet, brown the beef in the oil over medium-high heat (do this in batches). Transfer the beef to your slow cooker.
- Add the garlic ,celery and onion slices to the slow cooker, then sprinkle the salt, cinnamon, cloves, pepper, allspice, and nutmeg over the beef and vegetables.
- Pour the tomatoes and the wine over the beef and vegetables.
- Cover the slow cooker, and cook on low for 7 to 8 hours.
- If you want a thicker sauce, stir in some cornstarch mixed with water at the end of the cooking time.