Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
An Italian beef stew that only needs a red wine to make a delightful meal that will be popular with everyone. Posted for ZWT3
- 1 lb lean beef
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄2 large onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes in puree
- 1⁄2 cup chopped parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 1⁄2 cup beef broth
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Cut meat into 1-in cubes and brown in butter and oil over medium heat using a large pot. Remove.
- Sauté mushrooms for 3-4 minutes. Remove. Sauté onion and garlic 3-4 minutes. Add tomatoes, parsley and seasonings. Simmer 5-19 minutes.
- Add wine, broth, and cheese. Simmer 5 minutes longer. Stir in meat and mushrooms.
- Cover and cook for 1 hour. Add a little water or broth if needed.
- Good served with either rice cooked in broth or oven-roasted potatoes, broccoli and crisp rolls.
I loved this one, I did cheat a little and just threw it all in the crockpot adding the cheese towards the end of cooking. The mat was lovely & tender and full of flavour, the cheese is an unusual but tasty addition, really gives the dish a nice richness. Thanks for posting!
This was really good and easy to make. I put it over rice but hubby said he thinks that he would prefer it over pasta. I followed the recipe except I used beef broth for the red wine as I didn't have any wine. This was a nice meal that I will make again.