Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Try Suzanne Barfield's Roman Patty Melt with peppers, onions and aioli to make a great burger for which she won $100,000.00. On 09/28/2009 she was the new winner of the Sutter Homes Build a Better Burger contest, and this is the burger, ;) Suzanne hails from Basking Ridse, NJ & holds an M.S. in food chemistry from Rutgers University and has a Ph.D. in human and organizational development. Before retiring, she worked in IT doing strategic planning. Suzanne’s degree has helped her with cooking, because she is an “experimenter at heart.” She has fond memories of eating patty melts at Woolworth’s as a kid, so she started playing around with that idea and added Mediterranean flavors. :) Don't let the long laundry list frighten you - you just need to be organized - it is really worth the effort..
BALSAMIC PEPPERS AND ONIONS
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large red bell pepper, halved and sliced thinly
- 1 large onion, halved and sliced thinly
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, glace
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- 1 tablespoon ground fennel
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 ounces pecorino romano cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 cup sutter home zinfandel
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 2 lbs ground chuck
SUN-DRIED TOMATO AIOLI
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped sundried tomatoes packed in olive oil
- 1 tablespoon oil from sun-dried tomato
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- vegetable oil or extra-virgin olive oil, for brushing on the grill rack
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 12 center-cut slices Italian bread
- 1 bunch fresh basil
- 6 ounces italian pecorino cheese, preferably Cacio de Roma, shredded
- FOR BALSAMIC PEPPERS AND ONIONS:.
- Prepare a medium-hot fire in a charcoal grill with a cover, or preheat a gas grill to medium-high.
- Heat the oil in a fireproof skillet and add the bell pepper, onion, salt, and pepper.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are softened, about 15 minutes.
- Add the glace and cook 5 minutes longer.
- Cover the pan with aluminum foil and keep warm.
- FOR THE PATTIES:.
- Combine the garlic, oregano, fennel, paprika, salt, pepper, and cheese in a large bowl.
- Add the wine, pepper sauce, and beef.
- Handling the meat as little as possible to avoid compacting it, mix well.
- Form the mixture into 6 equal oval patties to fit the bread slices, cover, and refrigerate until ready to grill.
- FOR THE AIOLI:.
- Combine all the ingredients in a small bowl and mix well.
- Cover and refrigerate until assembling the patty melts.
- Brush the grill rack with vegetable oil.
- Place the patties on the rack, cover, and cook, turning once, until done to preference, 4 to 5 minutes on each side for medium.
- Butter both sides of the bread slices, place on the rack, and toast one side only until golden brown.
- TO ASSEMBLE:.
- Spread the toasted sides of the bread slices with the aïoli.
- Top 6 of the slices with equal portions of the peppers and onions, the patties, a few basil leaves, an equal portion of the cheese, and the remaining bread slices, aïoli sides down.
- Return the patty melts to the grill and cook, turning once, until the outside bread is toasted, about 1 minute per side.
- Serve immediately.
- Suggested wine pairing: Zinfandel.