Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
I love anything with apple and cinnamon and had to give this one a try. It's comfort food - great with vanilla ice cream or on its own. My kids love this as a snacking cake and it freezes well.
- 2⁄3 cup margarine
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon clove
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 cups apples, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons melted margarine
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons flour
- 1⁄2 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts or 1⁄2 cup coconut (optional)
- Cream the margarine and sugar.
- Add the eggs, milk, and vanilla and beat well.
- Add the rest of the dry ingredients and mix.
- Fold in the chopped apples.
- Pour batter into a floured 9x13 pan.
- Mix all the topping ingredients together and sprinkle over batter.
- Bake cake at 350 for 35 minutes.
What a delicious cake this is. Make sure you don't over cook it. Watch it carefully during the last minutes of cooking! My wife made this and used nuts in the topping instead of the coconut. What a yummy dessert! Thank you! Tony
Delicious!! I misplaced my Roman Apple Cake recipe, and this was every bit as good. I used some nutmeg in place of the cloves, and reduced the sugar to 2/3 cup in the cake. And I think I used more like 4 cups of apples.