Recipe by Cooking at the Cottage
This is a pretty simple salad. Dressing keeps forever and makes enough for 3 or 4 large salads. I keep toasted almonds on hand for this now. Prep time does not include chill time for dressing. If I do not have any onhand, I try to make it the night before.
- 1⁄4 cup white vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1 cup olive oil or 1 cup canola oil (I use an olive/canola mix)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 small red onion, minced
- 2 heads romaine lettuce, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1⁄2 small red onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 2 oranges or 2 -3 clementines, peeled and sectioned or cut into slices (See *)
- 3⁄4 cup slivered toasted almond
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine vinegar, sugar, water, oil, salt, mustard and minced onion in a screw top jar and shake to combine.
- Refrigerate to meld flavours.
- Combine romaine, onion rings and oranges.
- Lightly toss with just enough dressing to coat.
- Garnish with toasted almonds.
- *Substitute: 2-3 mandarines, peeled and sectioned or 10 oz canned mandarines, drained.