Crunchy romaine lettuce with vegetables and a creamy dill dressing. Add vegetables of your choice. I also add cheese, carrots, celery and croutons to mine. Found in a Taste of Home magazine and adapted it a bit for our tastes.
- 8 cups torn romaine lettuce
- 1 medium cucumber, sliced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 small red onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 1⁄2 cup evaporated milk
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 -4 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons fresh dill, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried onion, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- In a large salad bowl, toss the romaine, cucumber, tomatoes and onion.
- In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the dressing ingredients; cover and shake well. Serve with salad. Refrigerate any leftover dressing.
I cut the salad down to 3 cups lettuce, 1/2 small cucunber, and 1/2 small red onion and served with Greek Hamburgers on grillled buns. I made the full dressing recipe so i woulld have some left in the fridge because I love homemade dressing and this seemed low in fat. It was a real tasty treat and I will try it next timme with garlic powder in place of onion powder. Thanks for posting diner! Made for Zwizzle Chicks for ZWT6.
We really liked this, a nice refreshing taste. I didn't have fresh dill available so I used dried but I am sure fresh would have really made the flavors stand out. Also, I subbed half and half for the evaporated milk. Cut this recipe down to serve two. Thank you! Made for Holiday tag.
I had this dressing on my usual week-night salad of mixed greens and the works. I was so anxious to try this dressing as I had made it a few days ago to let the flavors marry together. It is really really good. Thanks Lynn. Made for ZaarStars.