Recipe by Sharon123
There is a tangy lemon vinaigrette that coats the leaves and mixes with the Parmesan cheese to make a lovely salad adorned with the sourdough croutons which provide crunch and a good garlic flavor! Adapted from Fields of Greens restaurant cookbook.
Top Review by Engrossed
Wonderful! This was a tangy tasty salad. It was easy to make but you feel like you're eating in a fancy restaurant. I couldn't stop eating the croutons before I had the salad mixed up. I may have to make some just to snack on. I used pimento stuffed green olives and whole wheat sourdough. Darn it I forgot the pepper....guess I'll just have to make it again. Freddy Cat says hi! Made in honor of Sharon's husband via kittencalskitchen.com.
- 2 heads romaine lettuce
- 1 -2 garlic clove, finey chopped
- extra virgin olive oil
- 4 thick slices sourdough bread, cut into 1-inch cubes (about 1 cup)
- 8 large olives, pitted, coarsely chopped (Gaeta or Nicoise olives are good)
- 1⁄3 cup parmesan cheese, grated (1 oz.)
Lemon Garlic Vinaigrette
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon zest, minced
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Discard the tough outer leaves from the romaine and use the whole leaves and hearts. Wash the leaves and dry them in a spinner, or pat dry with a towel. Wrap loosely in a damp towel and refrigerate.
- Preheat the oven to 375*F.
- Add the garlic to 1 tbls. olive oil and toss with the cubed bread. Spread the cubes on a baking sheet and bake for 7-8 minutes, until golden brown. Set aside to cool.
- To make the vinaigrette:.
- Combine everything but the oil, then whisk it inches The dressing should be very lemony and bright. This makes about 1/2 cup.
- When you are ready to serve the salad, place the lettuce in a large bowl. Add the olives and toss with the vinaigrette, coating all of the leaves.
- Add the croutons and Parmesan cheese and toss again. Sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper and serve. Don't forget to enjoy! :).