Recipe by heather in Ont,
I got this recipe from my neighbour Bonnie who brought them to a cookie exchange. Needless to say they were a big hit with the kids (big and small). Having the Rolo in the center gives it a wonderful surprise when biting into it. Keep the Rolo's in the freezer until ready to use as it improves the texture of the cookie. One of the few cookies my DS likes. Prep time includes the 1 hour to chill dough.
Top Review by jtaruffi
These are wonderful cookies! Delicious and easy to make. Made them for a family reunion tomorrow. As another reviewer mentioned, I didn't find the large Rolo's, so I used the mini ones and they were still great. Can't wait to hear what my family thinks. These are definitely going onto the Christmas Cookie List. Thanks for posting the recipe.
Joan - Ontario
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- granulated sugar, for rolling cookies
- 40 Rolo chocolates
Directions See How It's Made
- In bowl, beat butter or margarine, 1 cup granulated sugar and brown sugar until light Beat in eggs and vanilla until batter is smooth.
- In another bowl, combine flour, coca and baking soda.
- Stir into sugar-egg mixture to form soft dough.
- Chill dough in fridge at least 1 hour Place 1 tbsp of dough in palm of hand and press.
- Put 1 Rolo candy into centre.
- Bring up sides of dough to cover it completely.
- Roll between palms to make a smooth ball.
- Place remaining sugar on a plate and roll each ball in sugar.
- Place on greased baking sheet and bake cookies in preheated 350° over for 10 minutes or until tops are cracked and firm.
- Cool on rack about 10 minutes.