Recipe by PanNan
This recipe was posted in response to a request. It is herring wrapped around a pickle and "pickled" with onion, pepper, lemon and seasonings. The prep time does not include the time to soak the herring, or the "cure" time.
Top Review by mozarth622
It's the second time i made this recipe.I allways liked rollmops and allways bought the commercial ones.This recipe gives me three times the amount for half the price. and it did satisfied the taste expected and to me it was a real treat.
- 6 whole herring fillets
- 1 onion, sliced and slices quartered
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 -6 peppercorns
- 1 small mild chili peppers or 1 small hot pepper
- 3 slices lemons
- 12 small pickles (sour or dill)
- 1 cup vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Sterilize a one quart jar.
- Soak herring in water overnight.
- Clean herring, remove head, leaving skin.
- Cut in half down belly, remove bones.
- Each herring will yield two filets.
- Wrap each herring filet around a pickle.
- Fasten with a toothpick.
- Place herring rolls in the jar, along with the onion, pepper, lemon, bay leaf and peppercorns.
- Mix vinegar, water and salt.
- Pour over contents in jar.
- Seal jar tightly.
- Place a label with the date on the jar.
- Refrigerate for at least a week before using.
- Will keep up to six weeks in the refrigerator.