This recipe was posted in response to a request. It is herring wrapped around a pickle and "pickled" with onion, pepper, lemon and seasonings. The prep time does not include the time to soak the herring, or the "cure" time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Sterilize a one quart jar.
- 2Soak herring in water overnight.
- 3Clean herring, remove head, leaving skin.
- 4Cut in half down belly, remove bones.
- 5Each herring will yield two filets.
- 6Wrap each herring filet around a pickle.
- 7Fasten with a toothpick.
- 8Place herring rolls in the jar, along with the onion, pepper, lemon, bay leaf and peppercorns.
- 9Mix vinegar, water and salt.
- 10Pour over contents in jar.
- 11Seal jar tightly.
- 12Place a label with the date on the jar.
- 13Refrigerate for at least a week before using.
- 14Will keep up to six weeks in the refrigerator.
Nutritional Facts for Rolmops
Serving Size: 1 (360 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 318.9
- Calories from Fat 151
- Total Fat 16.7 g
- Saturated Fat 3.7 g
- Cholesterol 110.4 mg
- Sodium 1504.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 4.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 3.4 g
- Protein 33.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
mild chili peppers