Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe was posted in response to a request. It is herring wrapped around a pickle and "pickled" with onion, pepper, lemon and seasonings. The prep time does not include the time to soak the herring, or the "cure" time.
- Sterilize a one quart jar.
- Soak herring in water overnight.
- Clean herring, remove head, leaving skin.
- Cut in half down belly, remove bones.
- Each herring will yield two filets.
- Wrap each herring filet around a pickle.
- Fasten with a toothpick.
- Place herring rolls in the jar, along with the onion, pepper, lemon, bay leaf and peppercorns.
- Mix vinegar, water and salt.
- Pour over contents in jar.
- Seal jar tightly.
- Place a label with the date on the jar.
- Refrigerate for at least a week before using.
- Will keep up to six weeks in the refrigerator.