Since I was little we've made these in my family. My mom tells me she used to do this with her mother. Traditionally it is a Christmas treat but more and more we have them at any family function where there's baking. The measurements are rough because it really is from leftover pastry from pies.
- Roll left over pastry dough from pies out as thin as possible.
- Spread a thin layer of room temperature butter over entire dough to edges.
- Spread a thin layer of brown sugar over entire dough to edges.
- Starting from one edge, roll dough into a long tube but not too tight.
- Slice bite sized pieces and place in a pie plate with a centimetre or so spacing between.
- Bake at 325 for 15 - 20 minutes, watching them closely. If they start to brown, they should come out.