Another baked fish recipe using Swiss chard from "Jane Brody's Good Seafood Book", 1994.The shrimp, shallot, and chard stuffing can be prepared a day ahead, and the fish rolls can be assembled a few hours ahead and refrigerated until about 20 minutes before baking. No added salt is called for, as feta has quite a bit of it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 1/2 lb swiss chard, finely chopped (about 3 c.)
- 10 ounces cooked and peeled medium shrimp, divided
- 1/2 lb feta, cut into cubes and soaked in cold water for 15 to 30 minutes
- 8 sole fillets, about 4 to5 oz, each
- fresh ground black pepper
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 8 slices large ripe tomatoes (to garnish)
- 8 small basil leaves (to garnish)
- 1Briefly heat the olive oil in a nonstick skillet, add the shallots and saute 1 minute. Add the chard and saute about 2 minutes, or until the chard has wilted. Remove the skillet from the heat and set aside to cool slightly.
- 2Preheat oven to 375 Fahrenheit.
- 3Slice 4 of the shrimp in half lengthwise and set them aside.
- 4Coarsely chop the remaining shrimp and place them in a large bowl.
- 5Drain the feta and crumble it into the bowl of chopped shrimp. Add the sauteed chard and shallot mixture and stir to combine well.
- 6Place the fillets on a work surface and sprinkle them with the pepper.
- 7Divide the mixture in the bowl among the fillets, spreading it evenly and patting it down. Starting from the tail (narrow) end, roll up each fillet and secure the rolls with toothpicks. Place the rolls in a shallow baking dish that has been sprayed with vegetable oil.Pour the wine into the dish. Sprinkle the fish lightly with paprika.+.
- 8Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil. sealing it around the edges. Place in the hot oven and bake about 15 minutes.
- 9While the fish cooks, arrange the tomato slices on a serving platter or on individual plates, and top each slice with a bay leaf. When the fish is done, remove each roll with a slotted spatula and place one on each tomato slice. Top each roll with a reserved shrimp half as garnish.
Browse Our Top Sole and Flounder Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rolls of Sole
Serving Size: 1 (303 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 238.8
- Calories from Fat 92
- Total Fat 10.2 g
- Saturated Fat 5.1 g
- Cholesterol 143.6 mg
- Sodium 1063.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 4.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 2.1 g
- Protein 29.9 g