Prep 29 mins
Cook 20 mins
Another baked fish recipe using Swiss chard from "Jane Brody's Good Seafood Book", 1994.The shrimp, shallot, and chard stuffing can be prepared a day ahead, and the fish rolls can be assembled a few hours ahead and refrigerated until about 20 minutes before baking. No added salt is called for, as feta has quite a bit of it.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 1⁄2 lb swiss chard, finely chopped (about 3 c.)
- 10 ounces cooked and peeled medium shrimp, divided
- 1⁄2 lb feta, cut into cubes and soaked in cold water for 15 to 30 minutes
- 8 sole fillets, about 4 to5 oz, each
- fresh ground black pepper
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- 1⁄3 cup dry white wine
- 8 slices large ripe tomatoes (to garnish)
- 8 small basil leaves (to garnish)
- Briefly heat the olive oil in a nonstick skillet, add the shallots and saute 1 minute. Add the chard and saute about 2 minutes, or until the chard has wilted. Remove the skillet from the heat and set aside to cool slightly.
- Preheat oven to 375 Fahrenheit.
- Slice 4 of the shrimp in half lengthwise and set them aside.
- Coarsely chop the remaining shrimp and place them in a large bowl.
- Drain the feta and crumble it into the bowl of chopped shrimp. Add the sauteed chard and shallot mixture and stir to combine well.
- Place the fillets on a work surface and sprinkle them with the pepper.
- Divide the mixture in the bowl among the fillets, spreading it evenly and patting it down. Starting from the tail (narrow) end, roll up each fillet and secure the rolls with toothpicks. Place the rolls in a shallow baking dish that has been sprayed with vegetable oil.Pour the wine into the dish. Sprinkle the fish lightly with paprika.+.
- Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil. sealing it around the edges. Place in the hot oven and bake about 15 minutes.
- While the fish cooks, arrange the tomato slices on a serving platter or on individual plates, and top each slice with a bay leaf. When the fish is done, remove each roll with a slotted spatula and place one on each tomato slice. Top each roll with a reserved shrimp half as garnish.