Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is one of my favorite pancake recipes. It uses all the ingredients I have on hand and makes some good hearty, chewy pancakes.
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups skim milk
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 egg whites, slightly beaten
- Heat griddle to 375 degrees. Spray with cooking spray.
- In food processor bowl with metal blade or blender container, process rolled oats to flour consistency. Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup; level off.
- In large bowl, combine rolled oats, flour, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt; blend well.
- Add milk, oil and egg whites. Stir just until moistened.
- To form pancakes, pour about 1/4 cup of batter onto hot griddle. Turn when edges look cooked and bubbles begin to break on surface, about 2 minutes on each side.
My whole family loved this recipe! The only changes I made was to not process the oats superfine so it still had a bit of tooth to it and cut the cinnamon down to only about 1/2 tsp since we were topping them with apple butter that already had a bunch of cinnamon in it. I also let it rest for about 15 minutes to let the batter set up a bit and gain a bit of extra air. (Always a good idea for any fluffy style pancake, I've found.)
We already have plans to make them again, only with bananas and whipped cream on top! :)
Sooooo good! I cut the recipie in half, and I added blueberries and walnuts (a standard addition to all of my pancakes!)... it was delicious! I didnt have syrup so I topped with agave and a little bit of honey, mmmmmmmmmm.
At first I was a little worried because the batter seemed a bit runny. No worries though, these turned out great. I served with warm homemade applesauce. What a hit in our house. I did add about 1/3 cup of flax seed meal.