Prep 0 mins
Cook 12 mins
This is just an old-fashioned recipe that I remember from my childhood, Mom used to make these all the time, these were my favorite!!
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup baking soda
- In a small mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add water and vanilla; mix well,
- Combine dry ingredients; add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Chill for 30 minutes.
- Shape into two 1 1/2-inch rolls; wrap tightly in wax paper. Chill for two hours or until firm.
- Cut into 1/2-inch slices and place 2-inches apart on greased baking sheets.
- Bake at 375F for 12 minutes or until browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
I made these with my preschool children and they were not able to be eaten. 1/4 cup of baking soda is not the right amount the whole thing tasted of baking soda it was very disappointing