Prep 25 mins
Cook 2 hrs
From BHG 1988 Christmas Cookies. Cook time includes 2 hours of chill time.
- 3 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon allspice
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons water or 2 tablespoons rum
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Combine dry ingredients.
- In mixing bowl beat the butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Add the dry ingredients alternately with the molasses and water, beating well.
- Chill 2 hours.
- Roll dough on a floured board to an 1/8th inch thick.
- Cut out with a 4 or 5 inch gingerbead man cutter.
- Bake on a greased cookie sheet at 375 degrees for about 8 minutes.
- Cool on pan 1 minute, then cool on a wire rack completely before icing.
- For icing: stir together the powdered sugar and vanilla and add just enough milk to make the icing spreading or piping consistency.