Prep 4 hrs
Cook 8 mins
This is a very good, slighty crunchy cookie. I liked to make small gingerbread man shapes when my kids were small. Prep time includes chilling time.
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 cup molasses
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh lemon rind
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Put shortening and molasses in small saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat and cool.
- Combine remaining ingredients and stir in the cooled molasses mixture.
- Mix well; cover container and chill in refrigerator for 3 hours.
- Roll dough on lightly floured board to about 1/4 inch thickness.
- Cut in desired shapes and place cookies about 2 inches apart on ungreased shiny cookie sheets.
- Work quickly because dough softens as it warms.
- Bake at 350 degrees about 8 to 10 minutes.