Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Rolled Molasses Cookie. A soft rolled cookie that is lightly spiced. Good for gingerbread men and good for using as Christmas tree ornaments.
- 1 pint lard
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 2 tablespoons baking soda
- 1 pint molasses
- 1 cup cold water (, or coffee)
- 6 -8 cups flour
- If you want to use vegetable shortening instead of lard, increase the amount by 1/2 cup I have never done this.
- (I add cinnamon too).
- Cream lard, sugars; add eggs, salt, spices, and baking soda.
- Add molasses and beat well, add water slowly.
- Stir in enough flour to make a dough stiff enough to roll.
- (I chill dough for a few hours) Roll 1/4 inch thick (or thicker if you want cake-y cookies) and you may sprinkle with extra sugar.
- Cut cookies, place on ungreased cookie sheets, bake in a 400 oven for 8 to 10 minutes.
- They are done when you can press down with a finger and leave a dent.
- Cool on wire racks.
- I prefer to gauge doneness by looking at the underside of the cookie and seeing how brown it is.
- If you want a cake-y cookie, don't let the cookies get dark browned, you want them golden, dark tan.
- Baking time will vary with the size of your cookies too.
- Small ones take a lot less time to bake.
Instead of the water,I used warm tea like my mom always did (the French Canadian way)..MMMM