Prep 25 mins
Cook 2 hrs
A walnut-mint stuffing is what makes this lamb dish special! Originally from an article I clipped from a magazine years ago, featuring a menu and recipes for " A Greek Gourmet Dinner Party". I've prepared this several times and really like the fact that this(and a lot of the recipes from the article) can be prepared in advance.
- 2 cups walnuts, shelled
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, finely diced
- 2 cups fresh breadcrumbs (4 slices bread)
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh mint leaves, chopped or 3⁄4 teaspoon dried mint
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 6 lbs leg of lamb, deboned and butterflied
- salt and pepper
- 1 garlic clove, slivered (to taste)
- canola oil
- For Stuffing:.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In medium saucepan cook walnuts in boiling water to cover for 3 minutes;drain.
- Arrange on a jelly-roll pan and toast in oven until golden, about 5 to 10 minutes, shaking pan occasionally.
- When cool enough to handle, chop coarsely; set aside.
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, melt butter.
- Cook onions and garlic, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl combine walnuts,onion mixture and remaining stuffing ingredients.
- *Can be made ahead to this point. Cover and refrigerate until well chilled, at least 4 to 6 but up to 24 hours.
- Makes 3 cups stuffing.
- Open the leg of lamb with cut side up, butterfly fashion.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Spoon chilled stuffing onto meat;fold one side over to enclose stuffing.
- Run string lengthwise along lamb and tie to secure.
- Then tie string around meat every 2 inches to form a long meat bundle.
- With point of a sharp knife, cut 1 inch deep slashes along top of lamb and insert garlic slivers.
- *Can be made ahead to this point. Cover and refrigerate up to 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Rub surface of meat with oil and place it on rack in an open roasting pan.
- Insert meat thermometer into center of meat.
- Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees and roast for 2 to 2 1/2 hours, or until internal temperature reaches desired doneness; 140 for rare,160 for medium.
- Let stand 10 minutes, slice and serve.