2 hrs 30 mins
1 hr 30 mins
TOOLBELT DIVA's Note:
An uncommon preparation, but interesting and flavourful. The combination of Ricotta, Feta, and familiar herbs will bring back fond memories of your romantic vacation in Greece. Served with Retsina, the wine of Greece, Ouzo or Metaxa, you will make your travel plans just as soon as you finish your delicious meal. Served with a generous rice or orzo pilaf, your guests will slap their heels, and HOPA you are in Greek heaven.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 907.18 g lean ground lamb
- 59.14 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 4 green onions, stems and bulbs,chopped fine
- 2 fresh white mushrooms, chopped fine
- 2 clove fresh garlic, chopped fine
- 1 egg, and
- 1 egg yolk, well beaten
- 118.29 ml fine breadcrumbs
- 4.92 ml poultry seasoning
- 4.92 ml fresh rosemary, chopped fine
- 118.29 ml white wine
- 2 fresh roma tomatoes, skinned and chopped
- 59.14 ml black pitted olive, chopped fine
- 59.14 ml ricotta cheese
- 14.79 ml grated parmesan cheese
- 1 egg white, beaten well
- 4.92 ml fresh basil, chopped fine
- cooking parchment paper or wax paper
- 14.79 ml flour, used for rolling meat mixture
- 6 fresh asparagus spears
- 3 fresh carrots, tops removed
- 1PREPARING THE MEAT: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2Heat olive oil in a frying pan Sautee chopped fresh mushrooms; add chopped green onions and chopped garlic.
- 3Add poultry seasoning and chopped, fresh rosemary.
- 4Add the 1/2 cup white wine and allow to simmer until liquid has been reduced by half.
- 5Add bread crumbs and mix thoroughly until all the liquid has been absorbed.
- 6Remove this bread crumbs mixture from pan and set aside in a separate bowl.
- 7In a large mixing bowl, combine ground lamb, beaten eggs and bread crumbs mixture.
- 8Mix by hand, until all the seasonings and vegetables have been well combined.
- 9This is important.
- 10PREPARING THE FILLING: In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine chopped tomatoes, olives, Ricotta Cheese, grated parmesan cheese, beaten egg white and fresh basil.
- 11Mix well and set this Tomato Mixture aside in a separate bowl.
- 12Clean asparagus; remove about one inch from bottom of stems and discard.
- 13Scrape carrots and cut into quarters, lengthwise and set aside with asparagus.
- 14Spread out the parchment paper, or waxed paper.
- 15Sprinkle a little flour on the paper and spread out to cover the surface of the paper.
- 16This will keep the meat from sticking.
- 17THE MEAT MIXTURE: Press the meat mixture tightly, into a rectangle about 1/4 inch thick and no wider than the inside length of your loaf pan.
- 18Tidy up the edges with your fingers, as you go.
- 19THE FILLING: Spread out on the meat mixture, surface with a spatula and press down evenly, to within 1/4 inch of the edges.
- 20ASPARAGUS AND CARROTS: Lay out in alternate order over top the tomato mixture and press down slightly to keep the vegetables in place.
- 21Do not allow the vegetables to extend beyond the edges as you roll up the meat.
- 22TO ROLL UP THE MEAT: Roll up the meat slowly, in the direction away from you.
- 23Using the parchment or waxed paper as a guide to assist in keeping the meat tightly rolled, without breaking up.
- 24It is not as difficult as it sounds.
- 25Move the paper away from the top of the meat roll, leaving whatever paper is beneath the meat roll in place.
- 26Invert the loaf pan, and place it over the meat roll.
- 27Place your hand carefully under the paper and meat roll, and gently, without lifting, roll the pan over.
- 28Make any necessary repairs to the meat roll, prior to baking.
- 29Cover with foil, and bake for 1 hour.
- 30Lower oven temperature to 325; remove foil from pan and continue baking for an additional 15 minutes.
- 31Turn off the oven, do not remove meat loaf until sauce is ready.
- 32THE SAUCE: Heat olive oil in a sauce pan over medium-high heat.
- 33Add mushroom pieces and stems and cook thoroughly.
- 34Remove from pan and set aside.
- 35Crumble up Feta cheese and set aside.
- 36Make a roux from the cornstarch and 1/4 cup of the cream and set aside.
- 37Add remaining cream and white wine to the saucepan and heat thoroughly over low heat.
- 38Do not allow to boil.
- 39Slowly siphon heated liquid into the roux and continue whisking until all of the cream has been blended.
- 40Add Feta cheese and continue to mix until well blended.
- 41It will not be smooth, that is OK.
- 42Add mushrooms and continue mixing until desired thickness is reached.
- 43Carefully slice the meat with a thin, sharp knife, and lay each slice on its side on dinner plates.
- 44Spoon sauce over each slice and serve.
- 45Use up all the sauce- it will not"keep".
Browse Our Top Lamb/Sheep Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lamb/Sheep Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rolled Lamb Loaf with Creamy Feta Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (414 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1224.9
- Calories from Fat 876
- Total Fat 97.4 g
- Saturated Fat 41.1 g
- Cholesterol 349.7 mg
- Sodium 547.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.5 g
- Sugars 7.2 g
- Protein 51.9 g