Recipe by M&Mers
This is an impressive bread that is easy enough for beginners to make. It also contains my favorite flavor combo...toasted hazelnuts and chocolate! This loaf freezes well. Prep time does not include rising time.
Top Review by Tina and Dave
Very clear instructions - and a great result! We used 20% quinoa flour and 80% all-purpose flour and this worked fine. We also added some dried blueberries in the filling - yum! Many thanks for a lovely recipe!
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 (1 tablespoon) package active dry yeast
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup shortening, softened
- 1⁄2 lb hazelnuts
- 6 ounces chocolate chips
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg, separated
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄16 teaspoon almond extract
Directions See How It's Made
- To make bread dough: In small saucepan, heat milk to lukewarm.
- Stir in yeast and 1 tsp granulated sugar.
- Cover and let stand for 10 minutes or until foamy and double in volume.
- Maenwhile, in large bowl, stir together 1 cup flour, 1/4 cup sugar and softened shortening.
- Stir yeast mixture with a fork and add to flour mixture.
- Gradually beat in remaining flour to make a soft dough.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured board and knead dough for about 10 minutes or until dough is smooth and elastic.
- Shape into a ball and place in a clean, greased bowl.
- Cover with a tea towel and let rise in a warm place for about 1 hour or until double in bulk.
- To make filling: Place hazelnuts in a frying pan and toast on medium-high heat, shaking pan constantly, until skins start to loosen and nuts turn light brown.
- Remove from heat and place in a tea towel.
- Rub vigorously to remove skins, being careful not to burn yourself.
- Let cool.
- Grind toasted hazelnuts in a food processor (you should have about 1 1/2 cups) and then place into a medium bowl.
- Grind chocolate chips in food processor.
- Add to ground nuts.
- Add sugar, egg white, water and almond extract to bowl.
- Beat egg yolk with a fork and add half of it to the nut mixture.
- Mix well.
- To assemble: Punch down risen dough and let rest on floured surface for about 10 minutes.
- Roll out into a 18 by 12 inch rectangle.
- Spread filling evenly over dough, leaving a 1/2 inch border.
- Starting at long side, roll up tightly, jelly-roll fashion.
- Pinch ends closed and form into a slight horseshoe shape.
- Place seam side down on large, greased baking sheet.
- Cover with a towel and let rise in a warm place for about 1 hour or until double in bulk.
- Using a very sharp knife, cut diagonal slits on top of bread, spacing them about 2 inches apart.
- Bake in preheated 400 degree oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until loaf is golden brown and bread sounds hollow when tapped (if bread is browning too quickly, cover with tin foil).