Top Review by mels67530
I just mixed this up and have not decorated the cake yet. However, I've made a few fondants and can already tell this will be my go-to recipe! It mixes up beautifully. In this rural area, I cannot find glycerin so I just added an extra tbsp corn syrup.
- 1 tablespoon gelatin
- 1⁄4 cup cold water (replace 2 tablespoons water with vanilla, rosewater, orange flower water or freshly squeezed lemon j)
- 1⁄2 cup liquid glucose or 9 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon glycerin
- 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 8 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
- 2 -3 drops liquid food coloring, if desired (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Sprinkle gelatin over the water in a 2-cup heatproof glass measure and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Set into a small pan of simmering water and stir until the gelatin is dissolved.
- (This can be done in a microwave on high for a few seconds).
- Blend in the glucose and glycerin, then add the shortening and stir until melted.
- Remove from heat.
- Place the sugar in a bowl and make a well in the center.
- Add the gelatin mixture and stir with a lightly greased wooden spoon until blended.
- Mix lightly with greased hand and knead vigorously in the bowl until most of the sugar is incorporated.
- Turn onto a smooth, lightly greased surface such as Formica or marble and knead until smooth and satiny.
- If the Fondant seems dry, add several drops of water and knead well.
- If it seems too sticky, knead in more powdered sugar.
- The Fondant will resemble a smooth, well-shaped stone.
- When dropped, it should spread very slightly but retain its shape.
- It should be malleable like clay, soft but not sticky.
- Rolled Fondant may be used at once but seems to work more easily when allowed to rest for several hours.
- It is important to keep Fondant covered to prevent it from drying.
- Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and place in an airtight container.
- It will firm slightly upon standing.
- When ready to roll out, spray the work surface and rolling pin with nonstick vegetable spray.