Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
This recipe taste a hundred times better then the boxes you get in the store. I use this all the time when I am making a wedding cake. But if your wanting rich colors, you may need to change the recipe a bit. It tends to crumble after adding to much food colouring.
- 1⁄4 ounce unflavored gelatin
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
- 1⁄2 cup corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon glycerine
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (or your flavour of choice)
- 6 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
- Combine gelatine and cold water; let stand until thick. Warm gelatine mixture and heat until dissolved(Do Not Boil).
- Add corn syrup and glycerine, mix well. Stir in shortening and just before completely melted, remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Mixture should cool until lukewarm.
- Place 4 cups confectioners' sugar in large bowl. Make a well in the center and using a wooden spoon, stir in the lukewarm gelatine mixture. Mix in the sugar and add more a little at a time, until stickiness disappears.
- Switching to your hands, knead in remaining sugar making sure to keep a lot of icing sugar between your hands and the fondant to prevent the fondant from sticking to your hands. Knead until the fondant is smooth, pliable and does not stick to your hands. If fondant is to soft, add more sugar; to stiff, add water(a drop at a time).
- Wrap fondant tightly in plastic wrap and store in a n air tight container. Allow the fondant to set for at least 12 hours before using it.
- When ready to use dust the table with cornstarch and dust rolling pin as well. Roll out fondant as desired and cover cake. Will cover a 12 inch cake.
I was going to submit this recipe but found it here. This really is and easy and fantastic recipe. I use it whenever I need fondant for a cake. A million time better the inedible stuff in the box and way tastier than the marshmellow stuff which just tastes marshmellowy. Very easy to use even for beginners.
I love this recipe. I will use it for all my fondant decorations. It is quite simple to put together. The colors blended perfectly and now I don't have to worry about the nasty taste or outrageous price of pre-packaged fondant. Thanks!
Easy to make,and use! I too shall never buy fondant again. Thanks Luscious Creations!