Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 45 mins
- 1 1⁄2 lbs flank steaks
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 1⁄2 cups croutons
- 2 tablespoons chopped Italian parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- kitchen string
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Italian parsley, sprigs for garnish
- Pre-heat oven to 400º.
- In a small sauce pan cover the garlic cloves with water and simmer until softened- about 20 minutes; add more water if necessary.
- Drain and let cool.
- Combine softened garlic, croutons, parsley, salt and olive oil a small bowl or mortar and crush ingredients till a coarse paste is formed.
- Spoon paste on top of flank steak.
- Roll steak with the grain (lengthwise) and tie approximately every 2 inches with kitchen string to hold position of roll.
- (Steak will look similar to a jelly roll with the garlic and crouton mixture inside the roll.) Melt butter in skillet and sauté the steak on all sides till lightly brown.
- Place steak in oven-proof pan and bake in 400º oven for 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 225º and continue roasting for approximately 1 1/2 hours.
- To serve- slice the flank steak across the grain in approximately two inch rounds, remove strings, and drizzle lightly with olive oil if desired.
- Garnish each round with parsley.
Absolutely delicious! My husband loved it so much he ate it for breakfast the next day, along with his omelet! Easily adaptable, as well.
Elegant, tender and delicious-this is a good one for guests. Easy to make, but what an impressive dish. We will make this again and again.
I made this today. Wow was it good! I thought I had flank steak but actually had London broil so I halved the piece I had and made 2 rolls. I doubled all the ingredients. Probably should have not doubled the olive oil as I could taste it in the stuffing but it was still delicious! I will definitely make this again with actual flank steak.