Prep 30 mins
Cook 24 hrs
Great recipe I got out of Everyday Food...I tried it and we loved it. So I am putting it here for safe keeping...
- 1 1⁄2 lbs flank steaks
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1⁄2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄3 cup scallion, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup roasted red pepper, cut into thin strips
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees with rack in center. Between two sheets of plastic wrap, pound steak to 1/2 inch thickness with a meat mallet or heavy skillet. Using a sharp knife, score the steak on one side in a cross-hatched pattern. In a large bowl, whisk together oil, vinegar, and garlic. Marinate at least 20 minutes or up to overnight.
- Remove steak from marinade. Lay steak on cutting board, scored side down, with a short end facing edge of work surface. Cover steak with cheese, scallions and peppers, leaving 1/2 inch border at the far short end. Season with salt and pepper.
- Starting from closest side, rollup tightly. Using kitchen twine, tie steak crosswise. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place, seam side down in a baking dish or on a rimmed baking sheet. Roast until juices run clear, 35 to 40 minutes for medium rare. Let rest 10 minutes and remove string before sliceing.
An easy, casual beef dish, scales well down to 2 servings or up to 8. Flank steak does need the pounding (or a longer marinade), but this is also suitable for a more tender, thin, cut of meat. The mozzarella does tend to run out when it melts, so rolling tightly and tying around the ends is important.