Recipe by CIndytc
Great recipe I got out of Everyday Food...I tried it and we loved it. So I am putting it here for safe keeping...
Top Review by realbirdlady
An easy, casual beef dish, scales well down to 2 servings or up to 8. Flank steak does need the pounding (or a longer marinade), but this is also suitable for a more tender, thin, cut of meat. The mozzarella does tend to run out when it melts, so rolling tightly and tying around the ends is important.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs flank steaks
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1⁄2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄3 cup scallion, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup roasted red pepper, cut into thin strips
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees with rack in center. Between two sheets of plastic wrap, pound steak to 1/2 inch thickness with a meat mallet or heavy skillet. Using a sharp knife, score the steak on one side in a cross-hatched pattern. In a large bowl, whisk together oil, vinegar, and garlic. Marinate at least 20 minutes or up to overnight.
- Remove steak from marinade. Lay steak on cutting board, scored side down, with a short end facing edge of work surface. Cover steak with cheese, scallions and peppers, leaving 1/2 inch border at the far short end. Season with salt and pepper.
- Starting from closest side, rollup tightly. Using kitchen twine, tie steak crosswise. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place, seam side down in a baking dish or on a rimmed baking sheet. Roast until juices run clear, 35 to 40 minutes for medium rare. Let rest 10 minutes and remove string before sliceing.