Prep 15 mins
Cook 9 mins
Yummy chocolate cookies that are to fun to cut out and decorate.
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 7 teaspoons baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- additional sugar, for rolling and topping
- Preheat oven to 375*.
- Lightly grease cookie sheets.
- Sift together flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt and set aside.
- Cream butter with sugar on medium speed until light, about 2 minutes.
- Add eggs and vanilla, beating well.
- Gradually add flour mixture and blend well.
- Gather dough into a ball and cover with foil or wrap.
- Refrigerate 1 to 2 hours, until firm.
- Using half of dough at a time, roll out a 1/4 inch thick on sugar sprinkled counter or pastry cloth.
- Cut out cookies and then lift with spatula onto sheets, leaving about 1 1/2" between cookies.
- Sprinkle with sugar or sprinkles, if desired.
- Bake 8 to 9 minutes or until cookies are firm and edges are just starting to brown.
- Remove to wire rack to cool.
This is a very tasty chocolate sugar cookie. I made 3 dozen heart shape cookies and decorated them with red icing. The dough was easy to handle if you follow the instructions to chill it for 1 - 2 hours. Since I wanted to ice this cookie,I didn't sprinkle my pastry cloth with sugar, but used just "a little" flour. I will use this recipe again. It's a great cookie with icing as well.
Really easy recipe; tasty and not too sweet. Perfect for decorating with icing or eating as is. Our family says "thumbs up!"
This dough is easy to make, and to handle. Wrap it up in small individual segments to chill, and it will handle better. It has a mild chocolate flavor. I didn't add any sugar on top, instead dipping the cookies in tempered chocolate and they were perfect - not too sweet or dry or crunchy.