1 hr 10 mins
From The Japanese Cooking Class Cookbook. Japanese meals consist of a variety of small dishes; double this recipe for a North American-sized entree.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 large whole chicken legs, boned (drumsticks with thighs attached, 7-8 ounces each)
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger juice
- 1/2 cup sake, plus
- 2 tablespoons sake
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 small leek, white part only
- 2 cups water
- 6 -8 green onions
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1Pierce skin of each leg several times with a fork. Place chicken skin-side-down on work surface. Score thickest parts of meat with a sharp knife; press and spread lightly so the meat is of even thickness.
- 2Mix together ginger juice, 2 tablespoons sake, the sugar, and the soy sauce in a medium bowl. Add chicken, turning to coat evenly. Marinate 20 minutes, turning occasionally.
- 3Cut leek crosswise into 2-inch lengths; cut each piece lengthwise in half and then into needle-fine strips. Soak in the water 5 minutes; drain and reserve.
- 4Drain chicken, reserving marinade; place chicken skin-side-down on cutting board. Cut onions to the same length as long dimension of chicken pieces. Sift a light, even coating of cornstarch over onions and chicken.
- 5Place 3 or 4 otions along length of each chicken piece; roll each jelly-roll fashion around onions. Fasten each roll securely by wrapping with kitchen twine at 1/2-inch intervals.
- 6Heat oil in 10-inch skillet over medium heat. Add chicken rolls, seam-side-down. Cook, turning frequently with tongs, until light brown on all sides. Pour off excess fat.
- 7Add remaining 1/2 cup of sake to chicken. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, covered, 7 minutes. Add reserved marinade and cook, covered, turning rolls occasionally, until chicken is tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Remove twine from rolls; cut crosswise into 1-inch thick slices. Spoon pan juices over slices. Serve with the shredded raw leek.
Browse Our Top Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rolled Chicken and Green Onions (Toriniku Negi-Maki)
Serving Size: 1 (303 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 290.8
- Calories from Fat 122
- Total Fat 13.6 g
- Saturated Fat 3.3 g
- Cholesterol 69.3 mg
- Sodium 581.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 6.2 g
- Protein 17.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: