A rather impressive dessert from the Mississippi Valley chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947. Cooling time not included in preparation time. The original recipe did not specify what size pan to use....I believe that a 13 x 9" pan is what's needed for this recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 cups cherries, pitted (fresh is best, but canned is fine)
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2Melt butter in a oblong shallow cake pan; add half the sugar and cover with cherries mixed with the remaining sugar and flour.
- 3Set in oven to heat while preparing cake batter.
- 4Beat egg whites stiffly and carefully fold in sugar and flour, which have been well mixed.
- 5Add vanilla and salt; fold in egg yolks which have been beaten until light and lemon colored.
- 6Spread cake batter over hot cherries and bake for 30 minutes or until cake springs back when gently pressed with fingertips.
- 7Let cool one minute; turn out, upside down, on a waxed paper dusted with confectioners' sugar.
- 8Roll up at once like a jelly roll.
- 9Cool until just warm, slice and serve with a creamy custard sauce or whipped cream.
- 10This dessert does not improve with standing.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rolled Cherry Upside Down Cake
Serving Size: 1 (106 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 260.2
- Calories from Fat 50
- Total Fat 5.6 g
- Saturated Fat 2.9 g
- Cholesterol 80.6 mg
- Sodium 75.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 42.3 g
- Protein 3.2 g