Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
One of my earliest memories is of my mother making biscuits and gravy for breakfast. All the kids would stand around while Mom cut the biscuits hoping for a little scrap of dough to play with. We weren't disappointed! Before baking them, Mom would melt bacon grease in the skillet and dip the biscuit top in the grease before turning the bisuit over and placing it in the skillet. Makes a really good old-fashioned biscuit! I think Mom must have doubled her recipe to feed all of us.
- Preheat oven to 450. Oven should be HOT when biscuits go in!
- Sift dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Add butter to the flour mixture and cut in until mixture looks like coarse cornmeal.
- Stir in the milk just until mixture begins to form dough ball. Don't over stir. Lightly knead together.
- On floured surface, pat or roll out into desired thickness. Cut with biscuit cutter.
- Place in ungreased cast iron skillet or on bakig sheet.
- Bake in hot oven for 10-15 minutes.
I liked them, but the bf did not :(
Tried these in a hot skillet but used shortening to grease - they were great! We usually have breakfast food after church on Sundays and one supper each week and I had taken to frozen biscuits for eaze of preparation but these truly came together in no time at all. The kids have voted to have these again. We had them with just butter and jam this time but nNxt time we'll make some gravy. Thanks LoriLee in TX.