Recipe by Julie3551
This German dish has a flavor not unlike pot roast. Sometimes a thin dill pickle spear in rolled up inside. Other flavor variations include adding paprika, tomato puree, sour cream or lemon juice when you thicken the gravy. All are yummy. I suspect that after browning a crock pot would work well too.
Top Review by Sarah
This was a great recipe. I did add some gravy powder at the end after tasting the sauce as I think it needed a little extra, I might try beef stock instead of water next time I make it. Made and reviewed for ZWT4.
- 1 lb beef (in four thin slices)
- prepared mustard
- 2 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 small onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 cups water
- 1 -2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
Directions See How It's Made
- Spread the beef slices lightly with the prepared mustard. Season with salt and pepper.
- Mix together the onion and bacon. Spread 1/4 of this mix on each slice of beef.
- Starting at the short end, roll each slice up and secure with a skewer or tie with thread.
- Heat the oil and brown the rolls well on all sides.
- Carefully pour in 1 cup of boiling water. Cover and simmer slowly for 2 to 2 1/2 hours, adding additional water as it cooks away.
- Mix the cornstarch with 1 T cold water and thicken the sauce. (the larger amount of cornstarch will result in a thicker sauce).
- Season to taste and serve.