Recipe by Breanna
My mom and I always make these cookies around Christmas time..but they are a fun thing to do any time of the year We call the milk mixture sour cream. I usually make this right before I start. I put the evaporated milk in a liquid measuring cup and add the vinigar and set it aside until I need it. Also- don't work the dough too much or it may become 'tough'
- 3 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg, unbeaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup evaporated milk, combined with
- 1⁄2 tablespoon vinegar
- colored crystal sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift together the flour, baking soda and salt in large bowl; mix.
- Beat shortening, sugar, egg, vanilla in separate bowl until well blended; add milk mixture; Add flour mixture; Blend.
- Chill dough for 25-45 minutes or until workable.
- Cover counter top with a dusting of flour.
- Roll dough to a 1/4 inch thick and cut out with selected cookie cutters.
- Place on baking sheet and decorate with colored sugars.
- Bake at 375ºF for 10-12 minutes.