Recipe by Rubies
This is the easiest basic sugar cookie dough to make and work with. I think it came with a Wilton Cakes cookie cutter I bought. No refrigeration required, just make, cut out, and bake. Prep time includes time to cut out cookies, so it might be more or less for you. Cooking time is based on how many cookie sheets we use at our house. I also have pre-made these cookies and cut them out and then frozen them to be baked at a later date.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond flavoring
- 2 3⁄4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400.
- In mixer bowl, cream butter with sugar until light & fluffy.
- Beat in egg & extracts.
- In a separate bowl, mix flour, baking powder, & salt.
- Add flour mixture to butter mixture 1 cup at a time, mixing after each addition.
- Do not chill dough.
- Divide dough into two balls.
- On a floured surface, roll each ball into a 12-inch circle about 1/8-inch thick.
- I actually roll the dough a little thicker than 1/8-inch, but we like thicker cookies.
- Dip cookie cutter in flour before cutting cookies.
- Bake on ungreased sheet 6-7 minutes, or until lightly browned.