Recipe by Stephanie Z.
I found this recipe in Runner's World. Rolf Runkel is a pastry chef at Bermuda's Fairmont Southampton resort. It's high in carbs and protein. Add lean ground turkey or beef for even more protein!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (15 ounce) can corn, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can small white beans, drained
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 5 (10 inch) whole wheat tortillas
- 1 cup low-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- In a frying pan, heat oil and saute the onions, celery, and garlic until onions are transparent.
- Add corn, beans, tomato paste, and seasoning; heat thoroughly.
- Set two tablespoons of the bean mix aside.
- Place one tortilla shell on a baking sheet lightly coated with cooking spray, and spoon a few tablespoons of the bean mix onto it; spread evenly.
- Place a tortilla on top of beans, top with mix again, and repeat until pie is five layers high.
- Add two tablespoons water to the remaining mix and spread over the top of the tortilla (this will prevent it from drying out during baking).
- Bake at 350 for 35 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese, and bake until cheese is melted. Let sit for 15 minutes.