Prep 1 hr
Cook 10 mins
There's a recipe posted here with the same name but the ingredients vary slightly. This is from Guy Fieri's cookbook, Food, Cookin' It, Livin' It, Lovin' It. I've rearranged his ingredient list and prep work in a way that makes more sense to me and a way I would prepare this dish in my own kitchen. Prep and Cooking times are estimated and *include* soaking and refrigeration time.
- Cut onions in to 3/8" thick rings and discard the inner most rings.
- Have a baking sheet handy.
- Pour buttermilk in a large bowl and toss in onion rings. Soak onion rings for at least 30 minutes.
- Line up three more bowls and add ingredients in this order. Flour to first bowl. In second bowl, combine hot sauce, garlic, ketchup and water until blended. In third bowl add panko.
- When onion rings are finished soaking in buttermilk, dip them into flour, then hot sauce mixture, then panko. Place rings on baking sheet and put in refrigerator for 10-20 minutes for batter to firm up.
- Layer paper towels on a plate.
- In a heavy skillet or deep fryer, heat the oil to 360 degrees F.
- Working in batches, deep-fry onion rings for about 3 minutes or until starting to turn brown. Turn as needed. As they finish, place on paper towel lined plate and sprinkle with sea salt.
- Serve immediately.