- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages active dry yeast
- 1⁄2 cup warm water (105-115 deg)
- 1 1⁄2 cups lukewarm milk (scalded then cooled)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 5 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Dissolve yeast in warm water.
- Stir in milk, sugar, salt, eggs, shortening and flour. Beat until smooth.
- Cover; let rise in warm place until double, about 1 hour.
- Stir down batter. Spread in greased tube pan, 10x4 inches. (we used an angle food cake pan) Let rise to within 1 inch of top of pan (approx. 45 minutes).
- Heat oven to 350°F and bake 40-50 minutes or until golden brown and crusty. Serve hot.