Recipe by SDB
This is my version of the recipe printed on the Penzeys Spices bag of Rogan Josh. It's spicy and savory - the ingredients on the label are: paprika, garlic, ginger, cumin, coriander, Tellicherry black pepper, cayenne pepper, Korintje cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, saffron.
- 2 lbs lamb or 2 lbs beef
- 4 tablespoons ghee or 4 tablespoons oil
- 1 large onion, minced
- 4 tablespoons mixed spice, Rogan Josh
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 3⁄4 cup plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch, disolved in 2 T water (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut meat into stew-sized cubes, brown in fat (do this in batches to avoid steaming the meat). Remove meat, but leave all the drippings and oil.
- Brown the onion in the same pan. Add Rogan Josh and salt, stir for one minute.
- Return meat to pan along with any juices that have accumulated in the bowl. Slowly blend in water and yogurt.
- Cook 1-2 hours over low heat. At the end, raise heat to reduce sauce until thickened (you may add a small amount of cornstarch disolved in water.).
- This would probably work well in a pressure cooker.
- Serve with roasted potatoes, or over rice or noodles.