1/1 Photo of Rogan Josh (Kashmiri Lamb Curry)
1 hr 25 mins
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 dried red chilies, seeded
- 2 tablespoons ground blanched almonds
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon white poppy seeds
- 3 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron strand
Remaining curry ingredients
- 2Soak chillies in hot water, to cover, for 5 minutes. Dry toast almonds, ground coriander, cumin and poppy seeds in pan over low heat until spices brown slightly and become aromatic. (Shake pan so spices don't burn.) Place into a food processor with garlic, ginger, onions and chillies and blend until smooth. You may need to add a little of the chile soaking water to help the blending.
- 3Dry toast the saffron strands in the small pan. Be careful not to burn. In a small bowl crush with the back of a spoon then add 2 tablespoons of boiling water to dissolve. Add to the paste mix and set aside.
- 5Heat ghee in a large, heavy-based saucepan and fry cardamom pods, turmeric and paste mix and fry, stirring constantly, until ghee begins to separate from mixture.
- 6Stir in yoghurt, a spoonful at a time.
- 7Add tomatoes, garam masala and salt and fry, stirring, for 5 minutes.
- 8Add lamb and stir over high heat to coat with with spices.
- 9Reduce heat to very low, cover and cook for 1 hour or until the lamb is very tender. (It should not be necessary to add any liquid). Stir occasionally to prevent spices from sticking to base of pan.
- 10Serve sprinkled with coriander leaves and accompany with rice.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rogan Josh (Kashmiri Lamb Curry)
Serving Size: 1 (303 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 507.1
- Calories from Fat 259
- Total Fat 28.7 g
- Saturated Fat 13.9 g
- Cholesterol 156.7 mg
- Sodium 168.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 9.2 g
- Protein 44.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: