1/1 Photo of Rogan Josh
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 ginger, chopped (1" cubes)
- 8 cloves garlic
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth
- 10 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 lbs lamb or 2 lbs beef stew meat
- 10 black cardamom pods
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 whole cloves
- 10 peppercorns
- 1 cinnamon stick (1 inch long)
- 2 medium onions
- 1 teaspoon coriander, ground
- 2 teaspoons black cumin, ground
- 4 teaspoons red paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 6 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala
- black pepper
- 1Put the ginger, garlic, and 4 tablespoons water in blender;Blend well until you have a smooth paste.
- 2Heat the oil in a wok to medium high heat; Brown the meat cubes in several batches and set to one side.
- 3Put the cardamom, bay leaves, cloves, peppercorns, and cinnamon into the same hot oil; Stir once and wait until the cloves swell and the bay leaves begin to take on color.
- 4Now put in the onions; Stir and fry for about 5 minutes or until the onions turn a medium brown color.
- 5Put in the ginger garlic paste and stir for 30 seconds. Add the ground coriander, cumin, paprika and cayenne and fry for 30 seconds until the "raw" smell of the spices disappears; add a splash of hot water if the mixture starts to stick, this will prevent thhe spices from burning.
- 6Add the fried meat cubes and juices and stir for 30 seconds.
- 7Now put in 1/6 of the yoghurt; Stir and fry for 30 seconds or until the yoghurt is well blended.
- 8Add the remaining yoghurt, a tablespoon at a time, in the same way.
- 9Stir and fry for another 3-4 minutes.
- 10Now add the rest of the broth (a little more for beef than lamb).
- 11Bring the contents of the pot to a boil, scraping in all browned spices on the sides and bottom of the pot.
- 12Cover, turn heat to low and simmer for about an hour if lamb and two if beef.
- 13Every 10 minutes or so, give the meat a good stir.
- 14When the meat is tender, take off the lid, turn the heat up to medium and boil away some of the liquid.
- 15You should end up with a tender meat in a thick, reddish brown sauce.
- 16All the fat that collects in the pot may be spooned off the top.
- 17Sprinkle the garam masala and black pepper over the meat before you serve and mix them in.
Browse Our Top Lamb/Sheep Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rogan Josh
Serving Size: 1 (262 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 589.8
- Calories from Fat 414
- Total Fat 46.0 g
- Saturated Fat 10.0 g
- Cholesterol 82.1 mg
- Sodium 753.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.6 g
- Sugars 3.2 g
- Protein 29.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
black cardamom pods