Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
A kashmiri specialty. Can be made a day ahead.
- 1 kg diced lamb
- 250 ml yogurt
- 1 tablespoon malt vinegar
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- 4 cardamom pods, bruised
- 3 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped (300g)
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground fennel
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 3⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 125 ml chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint leaves
- Combine, lamb, yogurt, vinegar, half the garlic and half the ginger in a large bowl; mix well.
- Cover, refrigerate 3 hours or overnight.
- Heat ghee in large pan, add whole spices, cook, stirring until fragrant.
- Add onions and remaining garlic and ginger; cook, stirring, until onions are browned lightly.
- Add ground spices, cook stirring until fragrant.
- Add lamb mixture, stir to coat in spice mixture.
- Add stock; simmer, covered, for 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove cover; simmer about 30 minutes or until lamb is tender.
- just before serving, stir in garam masala and fresh herbs; heat through.
I love Rogan Josh, and this is a recipe I haven't tried before. It's different from what I used to make before, but we loved it, it's fabulous. Thanks for posting!
i am a curry addict and this definately hit the spot. thanks!
Very good! I used beef instead of lamb, because I couldn't find good lamb at a decent price. I served it over basmati rice. It tasted great and the house smelled wonderful while it was cooking.