Recipe by Brian Holley
Lamb cooked in spices and tomatoes. Much loved Indian classic dish. Lots of ingredients to give the flavour, well worth the effort. Preparation is the day before cooking.
Top Review by Stardustannie
This was great...I added the ground cumin and corriander at step 3(not sure if this is correct it but didn't mention in the instructions.) Next time I would reduce the lemon as I found it made it a bit tart. Thanks for sharing :)
- 2 lbs lean lamb, cubed (fat free)
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 inch fresh gingerroot, grated
- 5 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 green cardamom pods, split open
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 14 ounces canned tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix the lemon juice with he yogurt, salt, 1 clove of garlic and the ginger. Add the meat stir to coat the meat and set aside to marinate overnight.
- Heat the oil in a large pan and fry the cumin seeds till they start to pop,add the bay leaves and cardamom and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the onion and the other garlic clove and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the lamb and it's marinade and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and tomato puree with 1/4 pint water, stir. Bring to the boil, lower the heat and simmer till neat is tender.
- Serve with cumin rice.