Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
Lamb cooked in spices and tomatoes. Much loved Indian classic dish. Lots of ingredients to give the flavour, well worth the effort. Preparation is the day before cooking.
- 2 lbs lean lamb, cubed (fat free)
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 inch fresh gingerroot, grated
- 5 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 green cardamom pods, split open
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 14 ounces canned tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- Mix the lemon juice with he yogurt, salt, 1 clove of garlic and the ginger. Add the meat stir to coat the meat and set aside to marinate overnight.
- Heat the oil in a large pan and fry the cumin seeds till they start to pop,add the bay leaves and cardamom and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the onion and the other garlic clove and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the lamb and it's marinade and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and tomato puree with 1/4 pint water, stir. Bring to the boil, lower the heat and simmer till neat is tender.
- Serve with cumin rice.
This was great...I added the ground cumin and corriander at step 3(not sure if this is correct it but didn't mention in the instructions.) Next time I would reduce the lemon as I found it made it a bit tart. Thanks for sharing :)