Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
posted for ZW7 -adapted from the internet
Make and share this Roesti Swiss Hashbrowns recipe from Food.com.
- Grate Potatoes using a hand grater.
- Melt 3 Tb butter over medium heat, in an 8" non-stick saute pan, then add grated potatoes. Sprinkle with salt.
- Stir potatoes to coat evenly with butter. Pat the potatoes into a cake about 1" thick. Let cook for 10 minutes. Cover and cook for another 5-10 minutes or until the bottom is golden brown.
- Place a plate over the top of the pan and invert the pancake. Add 1 Tb butter and put the pancake ( uncooked side down) in the pan.
- Cook for 15 minutes, pressing down once or twice to get more of a pancake. Cover and cook for 5 more minutes or until the bottom is golden brown.
- slide pancake onto plate and cut into wedges. Sprinkle with more salt and pepper to taste.
Reviewed ofr ZWT7 visit to Switzerland- a good basic recipe for rosti, though the size of the roesti made it very difficult to flip over. The putside was crisp but inside was still very soft.You really need to flip this rosti out of the pan and then flip it again onto another plate, before you can return it to the frypan. I think a smaller size or the addition of some flour would have made it easier. My kuds enjoyed the rosti. Photo also being posted
I cut this down to one potato and tried to follow the recipe but my choice of cast iron pan (6") was too small. The potato really stuck so it didn't turn out like it should have. However, it was very tasty and so easy to make. Next time I'll use a different pan and see if I can make it golden brown. It gets 5 stars because the recipe is a great one. Thanks for sharing. Made for ZWT7-Switzerland.
So easy and quick, and just darn tasty! This went together in minutes and served with ketchup. :)