Prep 2 hrs
Cook 10 mins
This recipe came from my Grandmother Johansen, she was a wonderful old-school cook. I learned basically to cook from her on my summer vacations there as a little girl. I still remember how she prepared this summer dish with such care and pride. 'Velbekomme' as we say in Denmark.
- 1 kg mixed berry (e.g. black currants, red currants, raspberries, cherries and rhubarb)
- 1 liter water
- 150 -175 g sugar
- 1⁄2 vanilla bean
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch, per liter of stained juice
- 50 g chopped blanced almonds
- whipping cream
- 3 -5 fresh raspberries, to sprinkle on top of the dessert
- Rinse berries.
- Place them in a saucepan with the water and simmer for five minutes.
- Pour berries into a sieve to drip into a bowl, pressing for juice.
- Measure juice and pour back into saucepan, add vanilla and sugar to taste.
- Bring juice to a slow boil.
- Let boil one minute.
- Pour into a serving dish, sprinkle with a bit of sugar and let cool.
- Serve with chopped almonds, whipping cream and whole berries as decoration.
My MorMor made this for me when I was little and I just had to make this for my little guys today! Rave reviews from them. The taste is so refreshing and of course if you use real whipping cream it makes it more the yummier! Tak!